Babita

eXTReMe Tracker
TheTallestMan.com - Giant discussions

Listed at wrong Height????

Discussions about extremely tall people

Listed at wrong Height????

Postby Never Wrong » 15 Jul 2010, 22:45

This quote from TTM:
There are still a few giants listed now at a height I am not comfortable with (I believe John Aasen is shorter than his listed height, Martin van Buren Bates is probably shorter than his listed height and there are a few others. I will certainly address this in the near future).

got me thinking that we ought to have a list of giants who I think are erroneously listed. I'm going to stick to the more famous giants for whom there is more data and more basis for an opinion (e.g. There is no basis for opinion for Prenner or Opsata)

Anyway here's my list and I would be interested in seeing other people's lists:

Not Enough Information to Place at Current Height
Whilst clearly prodigious Giants we don't really have enough info to currently "know" their heights. They certainly aren't taller than their current figures.
Rogan (single source for height)
Carroll (single source for height)
Nashnush (single source for height)
Ghazi (single source for height)
Schippers

Likely Shorter than Currently Listed
Walter Straube (I think he's about 7'5"- 7'7")
Johann Petursson (Pains me but I think he's 7'4" to 7'5")
P. Theyagarjan (I think he's 7'1 to 7'4")
Paul Herold (7'2" to 7'4")
Anders Gustav Anderson (I think he's 7'2")

Likely Taller than currently listed
Machnow (could have reached 8' - in some of the later pictures he looks Vaino-esque)
Ijaz Ahmed (could be 8' - could be 7'8" - but I'm leaning taller than 7'10")
Rigardus Rijnhout (lots of places list him at 237cm - and he looks as big as Bachelard and Contat to me)
Baptiste Hugo -(I think he's a little taller than 7'6.5" - Maybe and inch to an inch and a half)
Winkelmeyer - (I think he's a safe 7'10" and likely taller)
Joélisson Fernandes da Silva (recent video showed him between 7'7.5" and 7'8.5")
Margarito Machahuay Varela (I think he could be pushing 7'7.5")
Viktor Zablotny (this one is a shot in the dark - but he looks closer to 7'5" than his listed 7'3.5")
Never Wrong
5'11" tall

Re: Listed at wrong Height????

Postby ghbearman » 16 Jul 2010, 00:52

This again?

Carroll - there are at least four measurements of Carroll, 7'6, 8'0, 7'10.5 and 7'8.25 - last two due to worsening kyphoscoliosis - so these last three together with the explanation keeps him up there at eight feet, does it not? I agree he most likely wasn't 8'7.75 standing height, since he developed scoliosis once he passed seven feet.

Machnow at 8ft, not a chance. But since you don't care for the contents of medical journals, what's the point of quoting one which says explicitly he'd stopped growing at 7'9.5?

Peturrson, interesting. The same paper cited just says he was measured at 7'3.5! If this is correct, then maybe Al Tomaini is given as too tall on this site as well (cf the pic with both and the girl in the middle)

Ijaz Ahmed - possibly an eight footer because he looks like he has scoliosis. (one shoulder higher than the other) And he's still growing.

Winkelmeyer - "I'm TALL and you'd better believe it, baby!" - hehe. sure, he looks at least 7'10 but this depends an awful lot on the other people he poses with! Was measured at 7'6.(not sure if he was still growing at that point though!)
ghbearman
6'0.25" tall

Postby Never Wrong » 16 Jul 2010, 08:53

ghbearman wrote:This again?

Carroll - there are at least four measurements of Carroll, 7'6, 8'0, 7'10.5 and 7'8.25 - last two due to worsening kyphoscoliosis - so these last three together with the explanation keeps him up there at eight feet, does it not? I agree he most likely wasn't 8'7.75 standing height, since he developed scoliosis once he passed seven feet.

Four measurements, all from the same source in the same medical journal. All photos from same article, with the one claiming 8' having no point of reference. After seeing medical papers from esteemed doctors and scientists that are patently wrong in the cases of Turner, Wilkins, Machnow, Hugo, Beaupre, Kramer, I am uncomfortable placing this man as second or third tallest without a shred (or only the very slimmest) corroborating evidence.

Machnow at 8ft, not a chance. But since you don't care for the contents of medical journals, what's the point of quoting one which says explicitly he'd stopped growing at 7'9.5?

If you are referencing the Launois-Roy paper - then remember that this article was based on a 1902 examination and Machnow lived 10 to to 18 years beyond that period. I am comfortable with his height of 7'10" but this picture - presumably taken some years after 1902 shows him with a Vaino-esque loom. I have no evidence he's reached 8' - it's just a gut feeling.

Peturrson, interesting. The same paper cited just says he was measured at 7'3.5! If this is correct, then maybe Al Tomaini is given as too tall on this site as well (cf the pic with both and the girl in the middle)

I go back and forth on Peturrson. I just don't know.

Ijaz Ahmed - possibly an eight footer because he looks like he has scoliosis. (one shoulder higher than the other) And he's still growing.

Don't know if he's still growing -but he looks eunochoidal - and I think he is. He also has a loom to him. But if this is an 8' ceiling then he isn't close to 8'.

Winkelmeyer - "I'm TALL and you'd better believe it, baby!" - hehe. sure, he looks at least 7'10 but this depends an awful lot on the other people he poses with! Was measured at 7'6.(not sure if he was still growing at that point though!)

There's conflicting medical articles and again, I just don't know. But I do think he's a safe 7'10"
Never Wrong
5'11" tall

Postby GROSMONT » 16 Jul 2010, 11:14

Vonderburg, concerning your feeling about Machnow:
Carl Sagan, asked whether he believed there is intelligent life on other worlds, said he didn't know. The interviewer pressed him, "What's your gut feeling?", to which Sagan replied "I prefer not to think with my gut".
GROSMONT
5'4" Tall

Postby ghbearman » 16 Jul 2010, 12:37

Vonderburg,
Four measurements, all from the same source in the same medical journal.

No, that's not correct. The last two measurements are from 8 years later, so I don't know why you're trying to remove the independant nature of this.
ghbearman
6'0.25" tall

Postby ssxa » 17 Jul 2010, 07:13

Just my opinon, but I agree that Machnow does have that "look" that some of the legit 8 footers have. Uppal had this too, and now he has been upgraded. I would downgrade Rogan to under 8 feet. I'd think he was closer to 7'7" give or take an inch or two. No way in hell I'd have Nashnush listed at that height, he looks like he was 7'6" or so at best! Especially if that last added photo of him is legit. Ghazi is a tough one, but he does look to be close to or at the height listed for him.
ssxa
0'3" Tall

Postby lasoi » 17 Jul 2010, 11:11

ssxa wrote:Just my opinon, but I agree that Machnow does have that "look" that some of the legit 8 footers have. Uppal had this too, and now he has been upgraded. I would downgrade Rogan to under 8 feet. I'd think he was closer to 7'7" give or take an inch or two. No way in hell I'd have Nashnush listed at that height, he looks like he was 7'6" or so at best! Especially if that last added photo of him is legit. Ghazi is a tough one, but he does look to be close to or at the height listed for him.

I like the way you think man. Not sure what I'd do with Rogan but the guy never would have stood 8'8" if he could have stood. Untwist his spine and he would have been pushing 8' perhaps.

What are you basing your Peturrson hunch on Vonderburg? In all the photos of him I can recall he looked every bit of his listed height.

Agree that Machnow was pushing 8'. And I'm not convinced there's not some photo still out there with enough information in it to give us a shot at an accurate estimate, maybe even one on this website. All we need is one single object of known height in the photo.

Not trying to sound like a used car salesman pushing my wares, but for the sake of argument here are a couple of old charts on these guys.
Attachments
johnwilliamrogan.jpg
johnwilliamrogan.jpg (112.14 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
feodormachnow (35).jpg
feodormachnow (35).jpg (88.19 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
johannpetursson (9 1).jpg
johannpetursson (9 1).jpg (121.64 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
lasoi
6'0.75" tall

Postby GROSMONT » 17 Jul 2010, 11:41

Longandshort, did you make a mistake in your caption to the Machnow photo? You give two different heights for "the man to his left". Should one of them be "the man to the left of him"?
GROSMONT
5'4" Tall

Postby lasoi » 17 Jul 2010, 12:14

I was giving two different height assumptions for the giant Machnow and then giving the heights the two fellows to his left would be if the giant was the said height, either 8'2" or 7'11". Guess I could have said "and the guy to that man's left is...". Thanks for so thoroughly glassing my posts by the way. Dirty work but somebody's gotta do it.
Last edited by lasoi on 17 Jul 2010, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
lasoi
6'0.75" tall

Postby richard » 17 Jul 2010, 14:32

Hi longandshortofit,

Here I am banging on about Rogan's height again.

I have become intrigued by a combination of 3 photos: Rogan with Dr Lackey [johnwilliamrogan (4).jpg], Machnow standing with his manager [feodormachnow (39).jpg] and Machnow seated with his manager [feodormachnow (40).jpg].

If we credit Machnow with being 7'10" then it should be simple from photo 39 to get a height for his manager. I get 5'5" at a very rough calculation but you'll get a better result. Anyway, this is a man of moreorless normal height. This photo could of course have been manipulated but there are several others where Machnow is standing with I suspect the same man who always looks about the same height relative to Machnow.

If you compare the Machnow seated with Rogan seated photos, I think they are very similar apart from being taken from a different angle. If you keep flipping from one to the other then I think you can get a good look at the similarities and differences between the two photos.

Let's make an assumption that Dr Lackey is the same height as Machnow's manager. Is there any magic you can work to make a direct comparison of the seated giants' heights?
richard
1'2" Tall

Next

Return to The Tallest Man Big Top